Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blog Archive

Monday, July 6, 2009

#81 Cloth Diapering *gDiapers*

Have you heard of them?




Well all this talk about cloth diapering made me do some more research. Now before Tristan was born - I had thought about doing cloth diapering- I never asked questions and I researched it maybe 5 or 6 times while I was pregnant - Now let me also remind you that I was not an avid blogger at the time either (this is where much of my new found research has taken place) - so I had no access to this "Blog" world. I figured cloth diapering would be a hassle, too expensive and who really does cloth diapering?? Well apparently alot of people do; and apparently cloth diapering IS NOT what it used to be when my Mom was my age!!

So as of now I have Tristan in regular diapers, LUVS to be exact and I do like them, they don't leak, cause marks on his legs.. etc... cheaper than pampers and huggies.
But- what I don't like is the diaper rashes he receives. I'm not saying they are from the diaper itself, shoot who knows it could be but, most of the time its from him having a bowel movement while sleeping and it sitting on his bum all night.. Tristan had a very bad diaper rash about 2 weeks ago and when I say bad it was red, raw, hurt to clean, touch and even hurt to put ointment on except reg unscented Vaseline. I felt so bad for him. So the research started up again about cloth diapering - Tristan will be one on Thursday so I figured maybe this will also help with potty training him???

There are quite a few cloth diapering sites and cloth diapering makers out there - a little overwhelming at first- and this could have possibly been the reasons I strayed away as well.
I stumbled upon- gDiapers.. Okay so not exactly "cloth diapering" to the full extent. The diapers are still cloth though? Its the best of both worlds. In my opinion

I'm just going to C&P. and let you be the judge..
gDiapers loves the Earth.
For the last 40 years there have been but two choices in diapers. Cloth or disposable. That’s it. Now gDiapers offers a third option. Flushable. gDiapers puts waste where it belongs, in the toilet. Not the landfill.
gDiapers have no elemental chlorine, no perfumes, no smell, no garbage and no guilt. In fact, our
flushable diapers are so gentle on the Earth you can even garden compost the wet ones in one compost cycle, approximately 50 – 150 days. Just think of the standing ovation you’ll get from the planet.
Cradle to Cradle.
Why are gDiapers good for the planet? It is simple. Our flushables are designed using the Cradle to Cradle design principles of Bill McDonough and his firm MBDC. That means everything that goes into one of our flushables gets re-absorbed back into the eco-system in a neutral or beneficial way. So you are turning waste into a resource. At the same time, you are putting poop in the toilet, where it belongs, and avoiding the landfill issue all together. We appreciate there is a lot of information in this section, but we want to make sure that parents who are concerned about the earth feel their questions and concerns are answered, and backed up with independent scientific research. For us, it is all about being Fair Dinkum. You can also feel free to contact us…we love talking diapers!
*Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM is a certification mark of
MBDC.




So anyway that's the jist of the gDiaper- If you want you can visit there website for more information and watch some videos about there product.
http://www.gdiapers.com/

I'm not saying this is the way to go- but this is the route I'm going to attempt to take. I would rather do something than nothing to benefit the earth. The fact that I use disposable diapers, knowing that they sit in a landfill for 500+ years, Kills me...

So as I enter this world of cloth diapering, disposables and Gdiapers, knowing that all 3 of them have a good and a bad side to them.. Its the step I'm going to take for myself and for my kid/s.

I will review them once I get them.. I'm pretty excited..

1 comment:

PeasOut said...

I'm so excited that you are doing this! Keep us posted!!